Happy Dancing

Happy Dancing

Friday, May 9, 2014

PIN FRIDAY FAVS:
Last Post for Card in a Box

In a previous PIN IT FRIDAY FAVS post, I featured CARD IN A BOX projects. This past weekend, I finally had a chance to make up several of them for Mother's Day, a birthday and a get well card. Here's what I made and I have to say...WARNING!! Making these boxes can be addicting!




Back View




Jolee's bee stickers and their BLING flowers made the construction of this box go a lot quicker. The flowers have adhesive on the back and after I attached them to my handmade stems, I used face powder applied to the backs of the flowers which instantly takes away the stickiness! (The adhesive has to be removed so that the flowers don't stick to the back flap when it's collapse and placed in an envelope.)



My original post with instructions can be found HERE, but the basic measurements are as follows:

One 5.5" x 8.5" piece of  DSP:
Along the 5.5" side score at 2 3/4"
and
along the 8.5 side score at
1/2", 2.5", 4.5" and 6.5"
OR
2", 4", 6" and 8"
(Depending on the amount of the design
 desired for the back panel,
you may want to start your
scoring with 1/2 " or 2")

 ...and the nicest thing about this version --- these boxes collapse and fit into a standard A2 envelope!

I did make a modification to the instructions:  For the 3 flaps that open on the sides - NOT the very back flap - I trimmed those 3 flaps so they all measured 2" square as shown below so the base of the box can be seen better and I also liked the scale of them compared to the base and back panel:



Here are a few more pics I took to show how the center 3" pieces are inserted. I used 1/2" red sticky tape on the 1/2" flaps and I placed the 3" pieces about a 1/4" into the box so they wouldn't show as much:



I also made up an insert with a picture to include with the card that tells the recipient how to set up their box after they take the card out of the envelope. It says:

This is a card in a box!
Open it up and bend it to the
left to form a perfectly square
box with the three smaller
flaps extending out.

....and look at this beautiful creation from Pinterest:

POP-UP BOX BIRTHDAY CARD (3 IMAGES) by: carolynshellard
Click HERE for the Original Pin