Happy Dancing

Happy Dancing

Friday, September 26, 2014

PIN IT FRIDAY FAVS:
Kimono Cards

I saw this kimono book mark last week at the Sunnyvale Senior Center craft store when I stopped by to visit my friend Alice. It called out my name and I had to buy it!


I thought a much smaller version would make a great card front and here is the result:

Sentiment: SU's Vintage Vogue

...but it seemed that something was missing, and that something was a collar!...so I added that:


While I had everything out, I wanted to make another one...but when I stamped the saying on the second one, it was at a slight angle...so...I chopped off the card front and cut all four sides to align the saying parallel to the bottom edge then matted it on a larger 5"x7" card. I liked the result even better than the first card! Don't you love it when a mistake turns into a happy little opportunity?! 


Back sleeve piece: 3/4" x 1 1/2"
Obi: 3/4" x 1" scored at 1/4" along long side
then folded into the center to
form a final 3/4" x 1/2" obi
Front piece: 5" x 4"
(Fold the left side of the 5" piece to a 1 1/2" point marked
from the right edge and use a bone folder...then fold the
right side over leaving about 1/4" or so from the left-side fold.
The left lapel needs to be trimmed to align it with
the right lapel.)

I sponged Crumb Cake ink on the white side of the paper and to my surprise - the design of the pattern side showed through! (The sponging was done on the lapel and neck areas of the kimono.)

This was the wonderful paper pack I found at Joann's for my Asian papers - half of them with beautiful foiled designs on them:


I also found a video tutorial on Pinterest to make another type of kimono for a card front:

CLICK HERE FOR THE ORIGINAL PIN
and view the tutorial.

I made one using the measurements from the video, but I found it too small when it was finished, so I extended the paper measurements to 3" x 10" - making the second fold in the video at 1-3/4" instead of 1" as stated in the video. Here is the card I made from this video tutorial:


The down side is that is a little bulky to send in the mail...so this will probably be a hand-delivered type of card!  Here are a few other Asian cards I found during my Pinterest searches:

LSC213 Kimono jhg 3_27
CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL PIN

Using punches instead of a stamped image for the Asian girl, this card would be a nice one to create: 

Kimono
CLICK HERE FOR THE ORIGINAL PIN

Love this kimono idea as well as the papers used:

Kimono card for Chinese Theme Card Swap
CLICK HERE FOR THE ORIGINAL PIN

The card below uses a SU set called Easter Blooms. This flower pot card could be used for a number of different occasions such as a birthday, get well or sympathy:

Click HERE for the Original Pin

...and this last pin combines fancy and fashion!
Wisteria maiden kimono card - so pretty
CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL PIN